Robert Allison

Stretch wrote:
I am saying that a Lennox will provide more air flow than the Goodman
andf most other brands of the same nominal size. I am not as sure
about Rheem because I do not deal with many of them, but the last time
I did, it had low air flow. I am not sure if that was the duct
system's fault or the equipment's fault, the customer did not pay me to
go that far. Additional testing would have determined the reason for
the problem.

It is possible the Rheem has a less powerfull blower. Checking their
engineering manuals against Lennox engineering manuals would tell.
Just to dismiss the statement that Lennox is better as bunk and say all
equipment is the same is unjustified. I sell Lennox and Trane, because
over time, they have performed better for me. Cheaper brands are
cheaper because less is put into them. Less metal (lighter cabinets
and coil fins); less engineering, less safety factor in the design,
less powerful blowers, less quiet,etc. I have found the higher priced
stuff lasts about 5 years longer in my area than the cheaper stuff. So
the price per year is usually less.

I am not saying that one brand may not be better than others.
I am saying that a duct system will perform the same if the
air is being pushed through it at the same rate regardless if
it is a Rheem, Ruud, Goodman, Carrier, Lennox, etc. Duct
systems do not require a certain brand of unit.

But it is a damn good line to use for the uninitiated if you
are pushing a brand name. (And if you are into misleading
your customers).

The same goes for the installer. The cheap guys usually do a sloppy
job. (But I must admit, some of the high priced guys do a sloppy job
too). I just feel the Lennox is generally better than Rheem. The
Rheem is better than some other stuff.

There was a lady from upstate NY who asked questions about Rheem and
Carrier on this forum. The Carrier system was more money, but her
husband pushed her toward the Rheem. That is what she got. The Rheem
was noisy and they had poor air flow in some rooms. She regretted it.
I conversed with her by email for a while off the group, based on that,
I would say go with the Lennox. Rheem isOK, Lennox is better.

Stretch

What you say makes a lot of sense, but that is not what the OP
asked. Reread his post and you will see that my response
makes sense.

If his HVAC contractor had said that this unit has a higher
CFM and will perform better, I would accept that, but I will
not accept that a brand will perform better due to the duct
system. (Even though that may actually be the case.)

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.