RicodJour

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"SQLit" wrote in message

I would be calling the local building department. This sounds like a bad
idea to me. I know that when doing roofing at a point it is time to strip
it
down and start fresh. Stripping your home down to the structure would
allow
for new windows,insulation and other systems to be installed. The trim
details around doors and windows would look natural. Not built out

I have to agree. Considering the age of the house, you don' t know what is
hiding under all that stuff. It would be safer to remove it and see the
condition of the structure and not just seal in rot that can cause serious
problems in a few years.

Listen to the man. I just replied to a post on stucco lath in
alt.building.construction a few minutes ago. This week we pulled the
stucco veneer from a 75 year old house. Original stucco, replacement
windows put in by some brain-damaged boob about 20 years ago, stucco
painted.

The place is a nightmare. The stucco was sound in most areas of the
house, but we new there were some problems underneath and wanted to tie
in a lot of work while the siding was off the building. The amount of
rot and termite damage is astounding. The stucco is holding up parts
of the building.

Putting layer upon layer of siding is asking for trouble - unless all
layers are/were perfect, you will be covering up damage and eliminating
any chance of repairing what's needed without going in through your
shiny new vinyl siding.

If you're more interested in dollars than in doing what's right for the
house, then knock yourself out.