Buck Turgidson

"Jonathan Grobe" wrote in message
I'm confused about the payoff from various
windows and doors energy savings options. Which
options have high payoffs? For example do storm
windows produce major energy savings?

If you don't have storms over single-pane windows, you'll notice a
difference. I did not notice a big difference going from single-pane and
storms to new Andersens. There probably was a small gain, but it is
impossible to measure - especially with moving (up) energy prices.

Consumer Reports says that wood doors themselves don't lose much energy, but
there is a lot of loss around the frame. I pried my casings off and sprayed
in some foam insulation, and re-cased. I also added sweep/threshold on the
bottom, replacing the old aluminum threshhold.and metal catch. Made a big
difference in the draftiness. Again, unknown $$ savings.