zxcvbob

J.A. Michel wrote:
Hi,
I am getting a new manufactured home delivered soon. I intend to build a
nice double car garage on it myself once it arrives. Because I want to
finish the basement at some point in the future, I'd like to leave as many
spots in the house's main 200A panel open as possible. So, that leads me to
the use of a sub-panel for the garage.

I intend to install a 100A main lug load center in the garage, and feed it
with a 60A breaker from the main, with #4 AWG wire.

As for loads, this is what I intend to run in the garage:
220V air compressor that draws 15A
220V air conditioner that draws 20-30A (not sure about an exact rating, I
haven't bought it yet)
10-12 fluorescent light fixtures
3 light fixtures with 75watt bulbs (outside lights)
1 refrigerator
2 garage door openers
Various 120V outlets (about 14)

Is a 60A breaker and #4 wire sufficient for a setup like this? The wire
runs to the sub-panel would be fairly short - 30 to 40 feet.

Your subpanel will probably be rated for 100A anyway. I think your 60A
breaker is fine, but I might use a 70A breaker if I could find one just
because your wire and box can handle it and it'll only cost another
couple of dollars. (The price takes a big jump when you go higher than
70A.)

I have a similar circuit to my garage with a 60A breaker and a mix of #6
copper wire and #4 aluminum triplex cable. Or maybe the aluminum was
#3, I don't remember, it's something called "periwinkle". Anyway, it
works just fine -- but I haven't fired up the arc welder yet. I have
run the air compressor and the table saw and a bunch of lights at the
same time without any problems.

I really doubt that the air conditioner is gonna draw as much as you think.

Best regards,
Bob