Doug Kanter

"Tony" wrote in message
So I'm having three HVAC / heater companies come into my house to quote
replacement of my AC and gas furnace. One of the companies is the one that
currently does our service. We've been pleased with them for that. I asked
the sales guy over the phone which products they use the most in my
neighborhood. He said Lennox and Trane. I asked if they are qualified to
install Rheem if I wanted it. He said yes, but advised against it. When I
asked why he said that Rheem/Ruud does make nice stuff, but they've found
after doing a lot of work in my neighborhood that the Rheem gas furnace
design does not "work as well" with the way the ducting systems are
designed for our types of houses (I live in a neighborhood development;
there are about 7 different basic home styles but they all have much the
same fundamental lay out as far as the heating / cooling / ducting goes).
He said that they have had much better results using Lennox in our
neighborhood.

Is there any truth to whether the nature of the ducting layout, etc, in a
home will suggest that one brand (or really one company's design) of a gas
furnace may work better than another?

BTW, this heating company has been around for a very long time and most of
their installers are NATE qualified.

Every time I call the local Guitar Center to see if they have something in
stock, they ask for my phone number "So I can make sure you're taken care of
properly when you get here". Same line every time. Sounds similar to the
"best furnace for your neighborhood" concept.

I suspect maybe they have lots of Lennox & Trane AC units left over and they
don't want to keep them around all winter. If you like the service, let them
have their foibles and stay with the company.