Edwin Pawlowski

"Steve" wrote in message

Tree guys that have come out have called them swamp maples or silver
maples??? Not sure what the difference is.

They are not sugar maples. Aside from that, I don't know.

I I asked about the stump rotting and he said it wouldn't happen
for a hundred years ???

Took a tree down about 18 years ago. Stump rotted and left a deep hole
already. It will not happen overnight, but far less than 100 years from my
experience.

I'm guessing the underground stump will rot and cause a depression that
will
have to be refilled over time???

Yes.

is "swamp maple" good to burn? He said it was a hard wood. It would be
green
so I guess I'd have to wait until next year to burn it. We live in
Massachusetts...

Cut and split it and it will be good for next year. Easier to split once
the weather freezes for a week or two.

$1800 to cut both trees, grind two stumps (plus two smaller stumps in back
yard) Haul away the big trunks and grind up the smaller branches. and
leave
me wood cut and burn. Not sure what a cord of wood costs but it would help
defray the costs of the cutting!!!

Local dealer here in MAi s getting $185 this year and expect to be $200 to
$200 mid winter if he has any left.

I'm also going to ask if they can leave me a section of the large tree cut
about 3 feet long. My dad had a section of stump like that when I was a
lad
and we used it as a work surface in the work shop to pound on...

Good to use one for splitting hte rest of hte wood also. I use a maul. If
the top of the log to be split is about waist high, I get the best power
when the maul hits it.

I think the trees are overgrown. they are growing into the wires in the
street (power co wont trim them despite repeated calls)

I've had good luck with out local CL&P with that when trees hit their lines.
Won't touch what h its mine.

My wife is concerned about the loss of shade on the house.. I think having
the trees is more of a problem as our old roof (replaced 2 years ago) had
moss growing all over it because of the trees hanging over it.

Shade of a good tree is equal to about a 12,00 Btu Ac. You will see a
difference.

It will certainly alter the look of the yard and may look odd at first but
think they are to large for the lot and after a couple of years we would
never miss them???

Or plant new trees of a better size and location. Takes 10+ years to get
the benefits of the shade though.