Dr. Hardcrab

Go with the variable speed. You'll be glad you did....

"Mike Hoza" wrote in message
I am getting close to making a final decision on a 90+ furnace. Although I
have one more representative coming in, it looks as if I will go with the
company which installs Trane products. The company came highly
recommended
by a friend, has a good reputation (uses all certified techs), has the
best
price, and I was the most impressed with the sales rep.

My understanding is that Trane makes a good quality product. However my
questions a

Are they generally easy to service?
How do they compare in terms of reliability and durability to other units?
Are the parts reasonable priced and easy to get? (non-proprietary)

I was looking primarily at the 2 stage 90+ without the variable speed
blower. However, with rebates the variable speed unit is within about
$300
of the non variable unit. The variable speed unit also has a 10 year
versus
5 year warranty.

I do not run the fan at all times and my electric bills with current
furnace
are not high in winter.

I undersatnd that the variable speed fan motor is quite expensive compared
to the standard (4 stage?) motor. How much difference would there be in
cost? Does the variable speed fan cause other complications that may be
more expensive in the long run? The sales rep. said that the variable
speed
fan is, in general, more durable than the standard fan. Is this true? If
so how much more durable?

What type of igniter does the Trane use and how durable/dependable is it?
Can it be repaced inexpensively and easily? (so that an able do it
yourselfer could replace one if need be)

Would the variable fan unit with 10 year warranty be a better value?

The other contender is a Luxaire (York) unit with two stage burner and
standard fan. How does this compare to the Trane?

Thanks in advance.

Mike