Beachcomber

"PVR" wrote in message
In my new condo at the breaker box I note that Neutral and Ground wires
from the house side are connected to the SAME bus. Why is this? Why not
have just one of these at the controlled device? I'm assuming that this is
a kind of fail safe arrangement?

Peter.

One further advantage of modern grounding that may not be so obvious.

In addition to lightning protection, a properly grounded installation
offers protection if the primary hot wires of your distribution
transformer should accidently come in contact with the transformer
secondary service drop to your house.

For example lets say the primary voltage to ground is 7500 volts and a
storm blows this wire onto your 240/120 service drop conductors. Most
likely, a fuse, (ahead of the transformer in the primary) will blow
shutting off the current (because of the short or near short to
ground). Even if this doesn't happen, with a grounded system, the
stray voltage coming into your house will probably be a lot more than
240 volts, but also, probably a lot less than 7500 volts.

Beachcomber