The Natural Philosopher

Default Acrylic or Latex based screed?

Graeme wrote:

"Lobster" wrote in message
e.com...

"Graeme" wrote in message

I'm going to level an old chipboard bathroom floor prior to fitting

vinyl

tiles. The existing floor is sound but quite uneven. My plan was to use

self-levelling compound then 6mm ply, followed by the tiles. Question:

I'm

pretty sure I need a compound that has some flexibility and one that

isn't

water based, but should I therefor get an acrylic one or a latex one?

And,

where from? Would 47264 from screwfix do the job?

Do you really need to use the self-levelling compound before laying
the ply? I'd have thought that providing you use loads of screws to
hold down the ply (ie, at say 6" spacing in each direction all over
the floor), then the leveller would be overkill?

I'm just aiming for a perfectly flat floor. Without some sort of
filler/levelling compound, the ply will show the undulations that are in

the

existing chipboard.

Yes, which is why you would normally set battens up and adjust them
to the floor variation before screwing the ply down.

If the ply is thick enough I reckon the foam idea is good.

It's just 6mm ply.

What about PVA mixed with sand (seriously!)? Isn't that all the latex
screeds are anyway. All I need is a filler that is slightly flexible, won't
crumble to dust, and is reasonably good in compression.

Exactly. Up to you then. I'd still use foam or levelling compound tho -
no actually in my case I'd use a load of flexible tile cement I have
left over :-)

Any old flexible set gap filling cheap ****e.