Bob

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I'm in the process of making a DIY hot tub. It's more like a soaking
tub now, because it doesn't have any jets. I've found a source of cheap
jets, and would like to see if I can salvage a pump from some common
household / shop / automotive appliance. The jets are recommended to be
installed such that there are 4 jets per HP. So I'd like around a 2hp
pump.

It's fine if I have to use a few seperate pumps, each less than 2hp.
But I don't want to use 16 1/8hp pumps. I'd say 1/2hp is the minimum.
Also, it's fine if they are shaft-driven or pulley-driven, I can supply
electric motors.

The list I've made so far includes:

washing machine pump (probably too small)
well pump
sump pump
pressure washer pump
coolant pump (auto)
lawn sprinkler pump
jetski pump

Any other suggestions? Something that I might find at a local salvage
yard?

A hot tub/spa/pool pump would just fit the bill. Keep an eye on freecycle
and craigslist for your area, and you might get a used one cheap or free.
They also show up frequently at my local metal recycling yard. Seals and
motor bearings can be replaced.

Personally, I never use the jets in my homemade tub. I'm usually after a
quiet, relaxing soak, not a noisy pounding.

After a fantastic back massage under a waterfall on clear creek in the grand
canyon a couple of weeks ago, that's what I really want to add to my tub.
Five minutes totally relaxed my back. It was way better than any jet I've
ever used. I imagine an 8-10 foot drop with all the pump output dropping out
of a foot wide chute would duplicate the effect.

Bob