Lowell Holmes

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message
David wrote:
:
: I cannot argue with your good results. What I don't understand is why
this
: worked as well as it did. As I understand it, you added a bevel on the
: opposite side of the normal bevel. This is the definition of a back
bevel
: for standard bevel-down configuration. It increases the cutting angle.
: However, on a bevel-up plane such as the LV low angle smoother, it has
no
: affect on the cutting angle. To increase the angle, you would shift the
: angle from the factory ground 35 degree angle to something like 40
degrees
: or add a 5 degree microbevel.
:
: Did I misunderstand something?
:
: Bob
:
:
: I can't find anything to cite that says a back bevel would reduce tear
: out in a bevel up plane, but it works on the tear out prone oak I have.
: Normally, a back bevel is used to increase the effective cutting angle
: on a bevel down plane. It might be serendipity at work. I'll leave the
: bevel on that blade unless I have issues with planing other boards.

I'm confused as well. If you're putting a secondary bevel opposite the
main one, won't this prevent the edge from contacting the wood entirely?

-- Andy Barss

I tried it and it works. Robin Lee and Rob Cosman both recommend it. As I
understand it, the slight back bevel makes the cutting edge absolutely
straight and incredibly sharp

--
Lowell Holmes