kevin foote

Pete,

Sounds ok to me. Some things to think about.

1.Make sure you get all the paint off the pipe before fitting the stop. A
hot air gun is best, i take its gloss paint.
2.Remember compression fittings distort the pipe so allway cut well back
from the old fitting when you come to replace.. you can just normally
replace, never works for me. Fittings are cheap so why skimp? goes for the
raditor too. radiator valves are cheap.
3.Do you have enough space to get the pipe cutter on. if thep ipe is against
the wall it can be a problem. One of these new tiny cutters or a sharp
harcsaw is best. I like to rub down the area where the olive goes with a
bit of fine sandpaper before fitting.

Kev

"Peter Lynch" wrote in message
I'm planning to replace a radiator in my conservatory, which is tee'd
off the main CH circuit. Now there will some time (a few days) between
chucking the old radiator and installing the new, smaller, one.

The plan is to freeze the pipes after the tee junction, cut the pipes
and put some "cupro fit" compression stop ends over the pipe ends.
Then, when the new rad. appears re-freeze, remove the stop ends and
plumb in the pipework with straight couplers onto the open ends.

Now, about the preparation of the pipes before I cut them: they are
currently painted over. I plan to remove the paint with fine wire-wool
and use a circular pipe cutter to make the cuts. Will this ensure
a good enough fit to the compression joints, and will I be able to
just pull/twist off the stop ends when it's time to install the new
radiator? Or do I need to cut back the pipes further?

Your comments and suggestions would be welcome

Pete

--
. never trust a man who, when left alone ...... Pete Lynch .