Jamie

James Sweet wrote:

i'll put my thoughts in on that.
i think it's set up that way as a torque regulator which can effect
speed.
that would mean that proper size of the cap is required.

Not on a syncronous motor, there's no need to regulate the torque on a time
clock, and you can't really do it, the motor will either run at the correct
speed or it won't run at all.

your referring to a shaded pole motors ?
my education and experience tells me that synchronous motors need the
rotor energized with DC to force the rotor to lock with the stator which
gives you a good steady speed.
in many cases, you have a squirrel cage type rotor that is wound with
heavy copper configed so that it acts like a Async type motor on start
up getting the rotor to start turning with a very low torque and once
the rotor gets near the stator speed using a tach or maybe a centrifugal
type switch then applies some DC source via slip rings to the rotor.
it is true that synchronous motors do lock their rotors to the stator
speed but like i said, there has to be something else to help the rotor
to do so.
so what ever..

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.