James Sweet

wrote in message
ups.com...
James,

Thanks a lot for your avices. Here's a link to show you the mod I did:

http://artofwar.free.fr/images_site/...ipeng/pcb2.jpg

Don't consider the pink wire, because in the end I routed that signal
from a different pin.

As you can see almost al the soldering is done in the bottom of the
expansion bus.

How do I normally check if a chip is malfunctioning? I fear that some
static elecrticity may have damaged the video memory.

If it's needed I think I can take a picture of my own modded board and
post it somewhere.

Thanks a lot for th help you may give me.

Mauro_

Unfortunately it's very difficult to check some IC's, particularly memory
unless someone has written diagnostic software that will run on the system
in question. Are there any socketed IC's on the top of the board? I would
still lean towards something getting mechanically disturbed in the process.
Are you *very* sure none of the expansion bus pins are shorted together? The
memory and everything else likely resides on that same bus so a line that's
stuck low or high can cause all sorts of weirdness.