Dave Plowman (News)

In article s.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
I didn't say that a condensing boiler is technically quieter then a
non-condensing. My last boiler was 28 years old and suffered from
bad, noisey kettling. In that respect a new boiler is quieter.

Oh - I'm not disputing that. However, kettling isn't inherent in a non
condensing boiler - it's a fault.

More likely in cast iron boilers

'Kettling' is the water in the heat exchanger boiling. It's a fault
condition and nothing to do with the type of heat exchanger material. Most
likely when the water circulation is cut off before or at the same time as
the burners. In other words, poor design of the system with no pump
over-run. Exactly the same would happen with any other construction of
heat exchanger.

My new boiler warms up quicker presumably due to it firing up on all
cylinders in its modulating mode, which a lot of old boilers may not
have.

Modulating means *reducing* the heat output from maximum.

Additionally, due to our system being modified with the new boiler
installation, our boiler warms up the house quicker.

Well yes. But this has nothing to do with condensing or non condensing
boilers, that's all.

It is because it's not cast iron heats up faster.

So all non condensing boilers use cast iron heat exchangers? And no
condensing ones do?

Back to the catalogues, pet, and do some more reading.

--
* I like you. You remind me of when I was young and stupid

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.