John

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks to all for your replies. We have gone with the recon burner
unit as it seemed the most cost effective solution. This has worked a
treat and also given us a quieter boiler. I am now convinced that our
old pump HAS to be gravity fed - so it simply wouldn't suck the oil up.
I think if the tank would have been full, it may have worked - until
it was half full again!

Glad you are happy but I think if you had "primed" the pump it would have
worked fine. I suggest you don't throw the old unit away. (You could of
course put it on ebay to offset your outlay)