Steve

Thanks for the advice. I guess it's the birds. I've ended up clearing out
as much as possible(but can't access the lower half of the cavity). The
cavity wall people have said it's not a problem for them and they can blow a
lot out before filling the cavity.

Cheers

Steve

"Fred" wrote in message

"Steve" wrote in message
Hi,

I've a 1960s bungalow. When repairing some soffits/fascias I found the
front-wall cavity has been stuffed with straw (the top of the cavity is
open). The only other cavity I can easily check (on a side wall) seems
empty.

Has anyone heard of this before? Is it a problem (fire? damp? - though I
have no damp at present).

Access to the top of the cavity is limited so I can't see any easy way to
remove the straw below the top few inches, short of knocking holes in the
wall.

I'm having cavity wall insulation soon. I guess the straw is going to
prevent the stuff they use being injected - at least in the front wall.

Any comments/advice gratefully received.

Steve

Sounds as if you have 40 years of birdsnests!

Are you sure the straw is all the way down the cavity?