Gaffar

Default 3x2 Loft joist strengthening

Hopefully someone on here has the experience advice to help me
(never been let down yet)

apologies for the slightly long post

Just finshed refurbishing the whole house (complete overskim and
painting as well
as an extension).

I have just started to board the loft for storage having cleared out the
very old insulation
and laid new stuff, have just realised that the old joists in the loft
are only 3x2's

The question I have is I have bought 22mm 2400x600 flooring grade
chipboard - green backed stuff-
(without thinking) and am now not sure if these boards will be too heavy
for the joists to handle
The loft area is about 40sqm that I am boarding with the rest staying
under old insulation for now.

The house is a semi from the 30's if it's any help and a bad ascii
diagram below shows the setup of the joists
The joists are laid 320mm apart and are joined together where they
overlap.
The 2 edge vertical lines are 6x2's above the joists (I thing the 3x2's
are connected to these from underneath. The vertical line in the middle
is a partition wall below

The celing underneath seems to be lath boards with cement/plaster which
was artexted and has now been overboarded and reskimmed

A structural engineer spared me a couple of minutes on the phone and
advised the joists should be ok to hold the weighth of the boards
(although the celing below may crack but should not collapse), also
advised agaist screwing boards into joists if possible as they may crack
and distributing light storage weight into the sides.

Is this sound advice and is there anything you guys can think off that
may help the situation or provide reassurances. WOuld writing off the
cost of these boards be wise and just replace with ordinary loft bvoards
that can be bought in B&Q and the likes.

Many thanks in advance for any advice

| | |
| | |
| | |