Timothy Murphy wrote:
Pete C wrote:

I think water is coming in through an old (150 year) brick wall,
which looks very pitted.
(The rain only comes through when there is also a strong wind.

There has been a few threads on this in the past, something siloxane
based should be best, as long as the brick isn't tooo porous:

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&q=group%3Auk.d-i-y+seal+brick&qt_s=Search

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?q=group%3Auk.d-i-y%20siloxane%20&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=wg

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=off&c2coff=1&q=site%3A.co.uk+sil oxane+sealer&btnG=Search

Thanks for all the responses.

I guess the problem could just be the pointing, as some suggested.
The brick is badly eroded, but the pointing is worse.
So I'll try re-pointing first
(actually, I think I will get a professional to do it)
and see if that solves the problem.

Since your wall is old soft porous brick, you should use lime mortar
(3:1). Cement is the main cause of soft brick deterioration, and would
only make it signficantly worse in time.

If the bricks are disintegrating badly, a coat of lime render should
stabilise them. But dont use cement, cement render is about the worst
option for soft brick walls.

NT