Graham

Hi, the timer on my heating hast stopped running, its a mechanical
driven by a small motor conected to 230Vac, the problem is a capacitor
(the only other component) that is in series with the motor. I shorted
the cap with a multimeter and the motor started running again.

The cap has the following info printed on it:

.1/10
250V ~
MKP1.70
.1/10
250V ~

What should I use as a replacement? What is the value exactly .1uF/10?
Which I assume is 10nF, true?

What exectly is the cap for?

Cheers Brian

If it's a clock then it will be a synchronous motor, and will have two
terminals only (no separate start winding).

I would have expected that the motor would be connected directly to the
supply, I can only suppose that the capacitor serves as a watt-less
voltage dropper.

Is there anything on the motor that suggests it runs on less than 230v?
120v maybe?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%