Andy Cuffe

On 30 Sep 2005 12:52:24 -0700, "Barry" wrote:

Thank you all for your help.
I think I found the vertical IC.
The reason I couldn't find it before was because I didn't recognize the
heatsink for what it was and I wasn't expecting the vertical IC to be
mounted in a vertical position.
The number on the board next the chip is IC2100; that makes sense.
I think it has 7 pins.
I tested the pins by connecting them with a wire to the next connection
on the trace.
Nothing happened to the picture so I figured the soldering job was OK.
Unfortunately, now I can't get the picture to come back when I bend the
board.
Maybe I did burn the IC out by running the set while I was testing it.
Do I need to replace the IC in order to find out?

Barry

There's a resistor (around 10 ohms, or less) in series with the power
supply to the vertical IC that tends to open on those sets. If you're
lucky, that's all that's wrong. Get the number off the IC and someone
will be able to tell you which pin to trace back. You may have to
remove a metal clip that holds the IC on the heat sink to be able to
see the number.

As a general rule, resolder anything that there's any doubt about.
Trying to pinpoint the exact pin that's causing the problem is a waste
of time. Pretty much every TV I've ever worked on has had at least a
hand full of bad solder connections (sometimes dozens). Even if they
weren't causing problems yet, it's good to inspect the entire board
and resolder everything that looks questionable.
Andy Cuffe

-- Use this address until 12/31/2005

-- Use this address after 12/31/2005