I just found this article on another NG. I thought you might find it
interesting. Lenny.
http://www.iwaynet.net/~nesda/SilentCTC.html

Thanks for the link!

Quoting that page (and correcting a few instances of 'XDS'):

"It's been identified to a non-standard signal originating in particular
"XDS box" in the transmission chain (XDS means "extra digital services"
and includes closed captioning, auto clock, program guides, VIR color
levels, etc, all broadcast in the vertical interval).... the signal
originating in this XDS box made by the "XYZ" company (name deleted)
has 2 extra bits...It causes a buffer overload in the micro and mutes
the sound....this XDS box does not truncate the data stream and the
extra bits get broadcast."

Is this the first recorded case of a television set malfunctioning due
to a buffer overrun attack? Anybody sent this to RISKS?

Matt Roberds