bones

After two weeks in the Sears repair shop, they finally looked at my
microwave and they told me that I need a new transformer. Going by my
earlier postings regarding the problems and the replies that I received, do
you think that this sounds like a good diagnosis? It will cost me $400
Canadian. I bought the microwave in '99 for $600 Can. If it is an accurate
diagnosis do you think it would be worth to fix it at this price?

Thanks
Jeff

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
"bones" writes:

I had to send in the microwave because I didn't really know what I was
doing. The repair guy tested it with a meter plugged into wall while
microwave was plugged into it. He said it was drawing 4 amps so he said
it
was probably a diode or capacitor. Since you suggested this does the 4
amp
senerio sound correct?

Possibly but less likely than a bad connection to the magnetron filament..

HV diodes and capacitors usually fail shorted, which would draw more
current.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above
is

I have a "Figidaire Gallery" over the range microwave. I turned it on
reheat food and I heard a click. The microwave still ran but it did
not
heat the food.

At this point, the appliance turns on but it does not kick in to heat
anything up (tried every option and still the same). Any ideas on
what
it
might be?

Thanks

I've fixed a couple that had cracked solder connections at the power
relay
on the control board, could also be a bad diode or capacitor in the HV
circuit but usually that blows the oven fuse.

*Read the repair FAQ BEFORE* you think about opening this thing up,
microwaves are relatively simple to work on but they can be lethal if
you
don't know what you're doing.