David

BillyBob wrote:

"David" wrote in message
. ..

I own the LV low angle smoother and have an extra blade, the high angle
optional blade, ground at the factory to 35 degrees. I've known for
some time that putting a back bevel on it is supposed to reduce tear out
but being the procrastinator that I am, I hadn't ground the back bevel
until this afternoon. I put an 8 degree (give or take) bevel, 1 mm wide
on the back and gave it a work out on an oak drawer front that I'd set
aside early this year because I couldn't tame the tear out without
sanding it forever.

I cannot argue with your good results. What I don't understand is why this
worked as well as it did. As I understand it, you added a bevel on the
opposite side of the normal bevel. This is the definition of a back bevel
for standard bevel-down configuration. It increases the cutting angle.
However, on a bevel-up plane such as the LV low angle smoother, it has no
affect on the cutting angle. To increase the angle, you would shift the
angle from the factory ground 35 degree angle to something like 40 degrees
or add a 5 degree microbevel.

Did I misunderstand something?

Bob

I can't find anything to cite that says a back bevel would reduce tear
out in a bevel up plane, but it works on the tear out prone oak I have.
Normally, a back bevel is used to increase the effective cutting angle
on a bevel down plane. It might be serendipity at work. I'll leave the
bevel on that blade unless I have issues with planing other boards.

Dave