Phil Addison

Default Damp under upstairs window. Porous sill?

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 09:51:58 -0700 (PDT), Jerry Built
] wrote:

Phil Addison wrote:
I [ ... ] have bought a bag of lime, one of Ordinary Portland
Cement, and a couple of bags of sand. I propose to mix 1:1:6
by volume (OPC:Lime:Sand) with no waterproof additive.

To late now, except for discussion,

Very true, skimmed it today.

but why no waterproofer?

To let the damp bricks dry out via it (hopefully!).

If damp penetrates your internal render, you will get problems
with the plaster. Damp and gypsum plasters don't mix!

I am working on the assumption that I have cured the on-going water
penetration and there is a limited quantity of damp left in the 11" wall
that needs to breath its way out. I may be wrong, in which case I could
be doing it all again next summer :-(

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me