Steve Peterson wrote:
Please correct me if I am wrong but I do not think that Einstein
published his famous remark in a paper in a peer-reviewd journal.
Nor, I daresay did Einstein oppose the publication of papers in
Quantum Physics. Absent his own contributions to Quantum Physics
he almost certainly would not have received the Nobel Prize.

Keep in mind that the Nobel Committee just about had to give him the prize
based on his 1905 papers, but the one they cited was the explanation of the
photoelectric effect, the least revolutionary of the bunch. See
http://nobelprize.org/physics/laureates/1921/.

An excellent article but I disagree on one point:

While I, and certainly nearly every other physicist alive today
would not hesitate to declare the Special Theory of Relativity
to be by far the most important work published in physics that
year, most I daresay would consider his paper On the Photoelectric
Effect, to be much more important than the other two. Brownian
motion was already qualitatively understood, and his paper on
the Specific Heats of Salts, simply did not not have the far
reaching effects of either of the two.

As you probably know, in his paper on the Photoelectric Effect
Einstein resolved a ~50-year old conundrum that was so vexing
to Phyisics that it was called "The Ultraviolet Catastrophe".
By successfully applying quantum theory to the problem Einstein
cemented the rols of the quanta in theoretical physics.

--

FF