David

Mac wrote:

Hi all,
I am making a 24" diameter cherry globe and I need some advice.
After making 18 piece segmented rings, I need to sand them flat. I don't
have a planer and couldn't find anyone with one big enough. So...I've been
sanding them by hand. For a better explanation (with pics) please go to:
www.studio407.net/the_war_of_the_world.htm
Suddenly on the fifth set of rings, I ran into a large jump in difficulty.
The amount of sanding required to flatten the rings doubled, and the amount
of sanding for the bevel at least doubled.
My question is this: now that the rings are under 20" dia, could I plane
them to make them flat without tearing out the grain? No matter how I feed
the ring, the leading and trailing sides are going to be planed against the
grain.
I don't mind a sore back but man...now my wrists, elbows, and shoulders, and
neck are hurting.
Thanks much,
-Mac

Is the resultant globe going to be perfectly smooth(round) or faceted?

Dave