stoutman

"George" George@least wrote in message

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
oups.com...
To accentuate figure I am learning that you need the highest
reflectivity you can get. So super flat sanding and clear gloss.

The one thing I haven't yet "figured" out is, should you oil the wood
first. Intuitively, it seems the oil would add some reflectivity within
the wood, that "deeper" finish concept. However, I wonder if oil
penetrates to well and flattens the figure by lessining the contrast.

I use the wipe-on Poly a lot. Does a good job revealing curl. Guess that
has oil and plenty of mineral spirits.

Yep. It's not 100% polyurethane. Just like David Marks Tung Oil isn't
100% Tung Oil.

Of course, Shellac, well rubbed and buffed, does splendidly as well.
Think it has more to do with no scatter in the finish itself than anything
else.