George

wrote in message
oups.com...

As Carl Sagan (hmm, I can hear booing and hissing in the penut gallery)
said:

They laughed at Galileo, they laughed at Columbus, they laughed at
Einstein and they laughed at Bozo the Clown too.

I'll just point out that it was religious zealots who laughed at
Galileo, competetors for state funds who laughed at Columbus,
Nazis who laughed at Einstein, and people who recognize a clown
when they see one who laughed at Bozo.

The latter folks, I daresay are the same ones who laugh at
"Creation Science" when they see "Intelligent Design".

Disengage yourself from the argumentative mode and read as if to understand
the writer, versus spin an unrelated set of paragraphs.

Every scientist does, in spite of your contention, have a belief set that
colors their skepticism and even denial of others' explanations of reality.
The source may be religion in the traditional sense, environmentalism, love
or hate of technology in general, tradition, even "political correctness" -
makes not a difference. The point is, nobody individually, nor science as
an entity, starts tabula rasa in evaluating observations. Wouldn't get far
if they did, because science presumes rules govern the universe, and they
use the rules as much to rule out as to predict.

Thus my choice of quotations. With Einstein, it was a dislike of
probability, or perhaps just a love of cause and effect that made him
disparage Heisenberg. That, and the term "God" were the reason I used the
quote. Sorry you missed it. Thought it was appropriate.