George

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
oups.com...
To accentuate figure I am learning that you need the highest
reflectivity you can get. So super flat sanding and clear gloss.

The one thing I haven't yet "figured" out is, should you oil the wood
first. Intuitively, it seems the oil would add some reflectivity within
the wood, that "deeper" finish concept. However, I wonder if oil
penetrates to well and flattens the figure by lessining the contrast.

I use the wipe-on Poly a lot. Does a good job revealing curl. Guess that
has oil and plenty of mineral spirits.

Of course, Shellac, well rubbed and buffed, does splendidly as well. Think
it has more to do with no scatter in the finish itself than anything else.