charlie b

/ Robertwrote:

Wow Charlie.... I was interested in the leveling devices as I am going
to build my new large bowl lathe stand soon....

That I'd bolt to the floor. But if you've got enough mass then these
levelers, with the 80 grit sandpaper on the bottom, should get
things level and keep it there.

Then I forgot all about it when I saw your bench. What a masterpiece!
Not only is it functional and well thought out, but it is gorgeous.
Really nice work, sir.

Thanks. You did note that it was a year of elapsed time
from start to finish? Was intimdated in handcutting
BIG through dovetails on the apron stock - stuff that
thick, that wide and that long is hard to come by,
at least for me. Fortunately I know an arborist/
sawyer/woodworker who had what I needed but not
much more if I screwed up. Was also, uneccessarily,
concerned about the Twin Screw installation - again,
the jaw stock was hard to come by and there wasn't
going to be a second chance.

I'd not do the accessible from both sides of the bench
drawers with the guides on the drawer sides. Other
than opening and closing them from the back to
show off I don't work on that side of the bench so
that "seems like a great idea" wasn't. The top
shallow drawers, suggested by Michael Baglio,
was a great idea and does keep digging down inside
them to a minimum.

If I can break a complicated piece down into low
risk modules/parts I'm less intimidated by the
project. It also lets you evolve the thing as you
go rather than commit totally to EVERYTHING
right from the get go. Using traditional joinery
really lends itself to this approach as it allows
you to dry fit what you've got and make subsequent
parts/modules/steps fit the actual space it is
to occupy. I stumbled on this approach early on
while making a pair of wall hanging tool cabinets

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/...olCabinet.html

Each step along the way seemed pretty easy, with
plenty of opporotunities to try new things - at
low risk once the cabinet and the doors were done.
When it was all done and filled I did the "Did I
make that?".

By the yard it's hard. But by the inch - it's a
cinch.

charlie b