Toller

Default Curly Cherry

Six months ago I made a cabinet out of curly cherry and was very
disappointed by the results. It is pretty, but the curl is much less
prominent than I expected; it showed up more as dark patterns then as
figure.
I posted here, and was told that curly cherry simply didn't show up like
curly maple.

A few months ago I made a box out of pomelle bubinga and was also
disappointed by the results; finished with BLO like the cherry. Beautiful
wood, but not extraordinary. Using the same wood for another project, I
found that the bubinga had superb curl when I cleaned it with mineral
spirits. I put 7 applications of wipe on poly over the oil on my box and it
looks wonderful. The curl is now extraordinary.

So, that has me thinking about the curly cherry. It is a large piece so I
can't just play with it, and I don't have any wood from that material to
experiment on. If it will bring up the curl (and yes, I have seen curly
cherry that looked like good curly maple so I know that my results aren't
the best) I am certainly willing to refinish it; but don't want to rec it.

Anyone know about this?