Saeed

Default DIY SOS Last Night - Lime and Sand plaster?

In message , Dave Jones
writes

"Saeed" wrote in message
The DIY SOS on BBC last night showed a house in Bradford where one of
the problems was demp in the walls.

One of the crew said the damp was caused by the "wrong sort of plaster
not allowing the wall to breathe". They remedied it by replastering
using (I think) "Lime and Sand Plaster".

I think I might have a similar problem on a chimney breast wall (terrace
house, so not an external wall). The wall has around 2 inches of plaster
(browning undercoats and top finish). I question the need for quite so
much plaster. The plaster was all the way to the stone flagged floor,
with a cellar underneath. Last year I hacked off around 2 inches at the
bottom all along the wall, and this help, but not entirely, and last
nights show gave me another clue.

Anyone know what this plaster is, and where to get it from?

Kind regards,

Saeed

sr_ng 786

Has the chimney been blocked up? Or still in use?

Dave Jones

The chimney had lining (?) fitted all the way to the top as it's used
for the gas heater. At the top the (I presume) stadard blocking off
apart from a pipe thing sticking out has been done too.

The bit in the bedroom has had a ventilator fitted.

The house has been disused for about 2 years, and my mate reckons the
absence of heat from the gas heater could have caused the damp build up.

Kind regards,

Saeed

sr_ng 786