D Murphy

Ned Simmons wrote in
:

In article , spamto154
@comcast.net says...
Ned Simmons wrote in
:

In article , spamto154
@comcast.net says...
"DeepDiver" wrote in
:

Exactly right. Kind of a poor man's burnishing tool. Here's a
guy on Ebay that sells gage balls (cheap):

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZtoolsupplyQQhtZ-1

Nice find! But where are his metric-sized gage balls?

Don't know, but he must have bought a dump truck full of "inch"
sized ones at an auction or something. He's been selling them on
ebay for some time now.

Cheaper, and metric sizes as well, from McMaster-Carr.

True, but not the same grade/material.

See McMaster page 3394, exactly the same grade and material - Grade
25, 52100 steel. For example 100 1/4" balls from McM are $3.97 (p/n
9528K15), on ebay $9.99 (Item number: 4578478224).

I stand corrected. I did a quick search and found the ones on page 3404.
You would think that there would be more of a price difference between
the two. I guess since 52100 is used for bearings, the quantities they
are made in offsets the price for the extra precision.

--

Dan