Eric R Snow

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 16:53:38 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

I did a simple test with my Burris Landmark 15x - 45x spotting scope
today. The target was lettering on a neighbor's boatlift at a
paced-off distance of 100 yards plus.

I could easily (no strain at all) make out letters that are .300 high
with .078" strokes -- as in the width of an I or the stem of a T.
I could read with "eye test" facility (read the smallest line you can
see) characters that were .187 high with .045" strokes. I could
easily discern individual blades of grass at the shore end of the
dock.

I would think that it would be very easy with this $200 scope to see
holes punched with a .22 in paper targets at 100 yards.

Light was good mid-afternoon light.

Thanks Don for posting that. I've been thinking about spotting scopes
because I shoot .22 for sport and for longer range I really need a
scope that I can see exactly where the bullet hole is. I have my own
firing range (well, 10 acres of woods really, with a naturally clear
alley) and want to improve it with a shooting bench and maybe a target
holder on a rope so I can change the target distance. I won't be using
the target holder if I shoot at 100 yards though. That sure would
require a lot of rope.
Eric