Adam Smith

Sorry, that was a short form for the full category, you have to navigate to
the category interactively. I'll describe the steps, you probably don't need
this level of detail, but no matter, maybe some lurker does:

- Navigate to http://www.ebay.com/
- If you have an account, sign in, if not create one
- On the left of the opening page there is a Categories list, go to the link
for Business and Industrial
- On the Bus & Ind page navigate to the "Metalworking Equipment" link under
"Manfacturing Metal Working"
- On the left under Categories there is a link for Lathes
- Click on Advanced Search
- Halfway down the page there is a checkbox for distance search, check it as
well as either Items within (your choice 200? 250? 500? miles: 250 is a day
trip for me, 500 is overnight once you factor in rigging) and your choice of
postal code or city. Click Search
- Add the result to your "Favourite Searches" using the link in the top
right of the page

If you haven't done much rigging, I'd add the additional advice to my
help, though I started without that benefit.

And while the gratuitous advice is flowing (and cheap at twice the price!):
the one way you could mess yourself up on a first purchase (besides falling
in love with a piece and bidding like a crazy person): be careful not to buy
a second operation lathe (no thread cutting), an automatic (Swiss machine or
"Brownie"), or other speciallized manufacturing piece. You want an engine
lathe, or tool room, or "bench lathe" or similarly described item. Hardinge
have a beautiful tool room second ops lathe (I forget the model), no
threading. Somebody will chime in with the Hardinge tool room model that
does threading (you won't be able to afford them, probably), and the one
that doesn't do threading (you'll be able to afford them, but shouldn't).
Might be safest to run make and model of any piece that you intend to bid on
by the folks here, for a while. Till you get to know what is out there.

Regards, and Good Luck,

Adam Smith
Midland, ON, Canada

"HotRod" wrote in message
Believe it or not I actually am a computer user but how the heck do I
specify the "Manufacturing-Metalworking_Metalworking-Equipment Lathe "
category under advanced search. I know I'll figure it out about 2 sec.
after I send this but HELP

snip