Peter W.. Rowe,

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 15:19:52 -0700, in =06 mbstevens
wrote:

The image that goes with the article shows someone striking an arc with=

=20
what appears to be an ABI arc welder with a lot of bare skin exposed.=20
Every book I've read on welding lately gives a stern warning against=20
doing this, because the high UV coming from the arc can cause skin =

cancer.

I'm wondering if the very very tiny arc struck by these kinds of =

welders=20
make this warning unneeded for jewelry welding. I'm thinking that I=20
would at least want a pair of lightweight gloves, long sleeves -- and=20
also a full face shield with my neck covered if I planned to move my=20
face close to the arc.

The photo in that article, while nice for marketing, is somewhat =
misleading,
since it looks to the viewer like a continuous arc. it isn't. A spark =
is more
like it. These welders not only produce a very small weld arc, but it's =
a very
brief pulse, not a continuous arc weld such as you'd get with a TIG or =
MIG
welder or a typical full sized electrode arc welder. As such, these =
pulse arc
welders, though there is indeed UV in the light from them, don't present =
danger to exposed skin. You do need the eye protection, but don't bother
covering up skin with these. I mean, you're welcome to do so if you =
wish, but
it's not really necessary... =20

Peter