Andrew Gabriel

Default Damp under upstairs window. Porous sill?

In article ,
(N. Thornton) writes:

sounds like an excellent set of choices. The only thing I'm uncertain
about is what mix would be best for the internal rendering. I've asked
people here about it, on ukdiy, so will see what they say. Last time I
did something similar I put a thin layer of 1:1:6 on then filled the
rest in with 1:1:4. That way the bricks see soft mortar so they dont
get admaged later, and you still get a lot of the wall and surface

I use 1:1:6. The render isn't the facing surface indoors anyway
(I assume you will skim it afterwards).

strength of a stronger mix. And I believe the lime content has limited
crack healing ability.

Lime acts as a plasticiser and makes the mix easier to handle.
I doubt if you are going to get much in the way of tollerance
to movement unless you take the cement out. I also use a
waterproofer (actually combined waterproofer and plasticiser,
so I end up with a lovely creamy/smooth mix to handle).

BTW the pointing can be done extremely quickly by putting on a glove
and just smearing handfuls of mortar along and into the joints. Since
its about to be rendered over it doesnt matter a monkeys what it looks
like.

It's silly to point if you're about to render. The unpointed
surface will provide a much better key for the render, and if
you are applying the right pressure, the gaps will be filled
anyway. Do remember to PVA the brick.

--
Andrew Gabriel