HotRod

Adam
I think I'll just drive down to Midland and pick one up at your shop :-)
Thanks for the great advice it's hard to try and be an expert at all kinds
of different tools.

"Adam Smith" wrote in message
I've had pretty good luck with buying machinery in Michigan and upstate
New York. I just rent a flatbed, go on down and get it, stop at customs on
the way back. All found on ebay, no magic contacts. Do an advanced search
in the Manufacturing-Metalworking_Metalworking-Equipment Lathe section,
search for stuff within 250 miles of Toronto (or your postal code). Add it
as a favourite search get it sent to your email every day. Sit back and do
nothing, watch some items (with no intention of bidding), just to track
what the closing prices are. Hang back even if something tempting goes by,
for at least a week or ten days. Then buy something when a reasonable
piece that meets your needs goes by. I like the old stuff, so one of my
favourite searches is for key word "antique". I picked up a little Seneca
Star for $350 US about a month ago, doing exactly that. I paid a little
too much (there was basically no tooling), but it is a beautiful thing in
excellent condition, I'm really happy to have it. It looks like a
miniature of the Hendey 16" that I run the most, (not that it is really
tiny, without the risers the Seneca swings 9"). The old stuff seems to go
for a lot less than newer machines (and not without some reason,
actually). I bought the Hendey for $600 Canadian a long time ago, but I've
seen comparable deals fairly frequently on ebay. Comparable new machine
pretty much always brings $3k at least.

Watch out for lathes for which lots of the tooling is missing, though: all
very well and good for me to make some tooling for the Seneca: I've got a
running lathe and mill (amongst other pieces) to use for the job. You'll
be happiest if you find something that you can start making chips right
away.

I wouldn't worry ithat/i much about making a mistake: if you don't
fall in love and bid wildly more than a piece is worth you can always sell
it and buy again with the proceeds. Which is actually sort of fun, so why
worry. Just don't let yourself go icompletely/i crazy on the price and
you'll be ok.

It might be a good idea to get a copy of the South Bend manual from
Lindsay while you are waiting and looking. The more you know, the better
you'll do.

Let us know when you find something.

Adam Smith
Midland ON

"HotRod" wrote in message
My biggest problem is knowing what to buy. Since all of the letters and
acronyms are as foreign to me as most computer related numbers are to
other people. I've been keeping my eye out but just haven't seen anything
yet. I guess I'll look closer in Ontario, Canada

"Adam Smith" wrote in message
If that is Ontario, Canada and not Ontario, California, I'd probably
look
around Detroit, Buffalo, or Rochester, rather than in California.

Seems to me that the buys to be had out of Detroit are as good as those
anywhere. (Which is a sad symptom, but that is a different issue). YMMV,
of
course.

Regards,

Adam Smith,
Midland, ON, Canada

"HotRod" wrote in message
Gunner because you have first hand knowledge of these lathes.

O.K. A stupid shop guy here. I've been hunting for a small lathe for
some time. Preferable something that has about a six foot, footprint.
And since I'm a novice just trying to repair some basic parts and turn
some basic parts. What would you recommend? I think shipping to Ontario
will be more of an issue than anything. Any chance someone wants to
house mine for free use until I can get a truck down there to pick it
up?

"Gunner" wrote in message
news On 28 Sep 2005 22:55:20 -0700, wrote:

We purchased a bunch of lathes this last week and now have lathes from
$250. to $10,000. Sure the cheaper ones need some work to bring them
up
to snuff but they are all American or British and parts are available.
Two of the lathes are rare long bed SBL's so you pool cue guys pay
attention.
9" SBL on factory cabinet
9" SBL long bed on factory cabinet
10" SBL long bed light duty on factory cabinet
10" SBL heavy on hairpin legs, well tooled
10" EMCO Maier very late
11" Clausing Colchester nice
11" Logan table model rough
12" Clausing on factory stand- older
13" Harrison AA Nice!
13" Harrison M300 w/ tracer Nice!
13" Clausing/ Colchester needs ways reground Cheap!
15" LeBlond Superb!
17" Clausing Colchester Cheap!
These lathes are in Costa Mesa, CA. Call (949) 645-7601 or Email me.
Please don't ask for pictures and specs on all of them. Reasonable
requests will be aced on promptly. I will be out of town all next
week.
Leigh

I reviewed some of these machines today. Some pretty nice stuff in
there.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner