Larry Jaques

On 25 Sep 2005 09:11:07 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, jim rozen
quickly quoth:

In article , Larry Jaques says...

I think this has been dubbed "the Katrina effect!"

"This has been a test of the Emergency ****up System. Had this been a
real emergency, you would have died anyway. Thanks for playing!"

Seriously though, it is a sobering series of events. Makes one
realize that if they *had* been on top of the first one (katrina)
and gotten everyone into cars and busses and so on, it would have
still been trouble, simply because you are moving *so* many folks
on roads that were designed and built for what basically amounts
to a factor of ten fewer people.

Yeah, scheduling an ordered (and orderly) escape for tens of millions
of frightened sheeple has to be rugged. The smart folks who left early
and didn't run into traffic are seldom mentioned on the news. They
had their BOPs ready. (Bug-Out-Pillowcases

This happens around here on an increasingly regular basis - there
is some problem, say, on the Tappan Zee bridge, which is 20 miles
to the south. All the diversion traffic immediately paralyzes
every single highway near my house. It's like one of those kids
puzzles, where you move the pieces around and make a picture,
using the one available empty square.

You don't have to tell me about gridlock. I used to live in CA. When
I worked repairing large machinery with a friend (Terry, Gunner) we'd
leave for L.A. no later than 4:30am or risk not getting to Westwood
before noon on a good day. On a bad day, it could be 3pm. sigh
I had worked up there at a little medical center, the day before the
movie "Volcano" came on TV. It sat half a block off San Vicente
Avenue, the street the lava came down in the movie. Watching that
movie showing lava coming down the street I had just been on the day
before gave me the eeriest feeling.

But disasters should be easier. Guys in trucks just bulldoze dead cars
off the road and haul ass with everyone else behind them. Politeness
takes a back seat to survival.

Anyone who thinks you can evacuate NYC or even the surrounding
suburbs in less than a week is flat out nuts.

And anyone who lives in a huge city is nuts, that being only one
of the many reasons.

Only way to move around in a case like that will be with a trail
bike.

A little 250 Yammerhammer Enduro would be just right. Small enough to
get around, light enough to push, and strong/large enough to carry 2
people (once you save the damsel in distress.) domg Walt has it
made! I wonder if these disasters will spur more 4WD purchases. Can't
make it out of town on the streets? No problem. Run down fences and
make your own trail out.

--
"Simplicity of life, even the barest, is not misery but
the very foundation of refinement." --William Morris