George

Bob Ward wrote:
On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 17:16:55 -0400, imascot
wrote:

In article ,
says...

The VOIP service is very clear - just as good as
regular service. Yes, the only catch is no power - no phone. But that has
rarely been an issue where I am and after all, most people have a cell phone
if something like that happens.

No power, no cell phones, either.

J.

Mine must be special - it has a battery. Most cell sites I've seen...
have a standby generator..

I'am in the Northeast and have seen a lot of the equipment and a buddy
provides a service where he has been at most communications sites in our
region so I am only telling you what I have seen and he has told me.

tmobile and Sprint use small cabinets on a pad with no battery(s) and a
power connector that allows them to plug in a trailer mounted
generator that is kept someplace else. Some Cingular sites have
generators in addition to battery. Nextel doesn't fully populate the
battery racks so they have minimal reserve and they also use a connector
so they can plug in a trailer mounted generator. Verizon fully populates
the battery racks and has a generator (usually diesel) at each site.