fred

In article , Chris Bacon
writes
fred wrote:
30kg lead £9
2.5kg block tin £8

I have simply no idea why you think it's "block tin", but I will
be very interested to find out - as far as I am aware this term
relates to a historical form of the mostly purified tin metal.

No dear, here, have the other end of the stick :-), I _have_ scrap lead &
block tin and am looking to barter it for sash weights

Why would people use tin for sash weights, when the denser lead,
or cheaper iron, was available? As I said above, I'd love to
hear more.

Block tin was in common usage up here in gas piping around the turn of
the century, softer than lead and a bright finish when scraped, that is what
I've got here.

128kg cast iron weights £5 scrap value + £10 hassle factor

Ooooh don't quote me!

Don't worry, just wanted to check whether the CI value was 10, 50 or
100quid and will act accordingly

Looks like pretty much a straight swap but I'll happily pay him more for
being good enough to keep them rather than melt them down. I needed a
reference point as this lot from Mighton was going to cost £180 :-!

That is quite a lot[1]. I've a few big lumps of lead you could have
had in the garage, but you're up there, & I ain't. The Mighton ones
I ame sure are top quality, cast in an antique mould, finished in
the most traditional way, and given a final rubbing down with a
chamois-style leather made out of the soft seat-skin of a Building
Control Officer that has been boiled in his own fat for a furlong
fathom fortnight.

I was going to cast my own from scrap lead but time, hassle & danger are
all factors, yes I'm sure the Mighton ones will be polished to a fine lustre
but not even I have that much eye for detail on something that is that well
hidden.

[1] Don't tell your scrap man about it.

Don't worry.
--