Dan

On Thu 29 Sep 2005 09:57:37a, "Cyrille de Brébisson"
wrote in :

I have a 5ft 10'' log that I would like to transform in useable
wood...

question is do I need to let the log dry first and then cut it in
boards, or should I slice it when wet, or in between?

I had a chance to work at an oldtime sawmill over Labor Day. Some logs were
cut a few days ago, some had been sitting for years. I brought my moisture
meter along just for fun. The meter pegs out at 20 percent.

Every board I checked maxed out the meter. Old logs, new logs, inner wood,
outer wood, all of 'em. Nothing under 20 percent. I checked the meter on
what I knew was dry wood and it read about 6%, so I know it was working.

Near as I could tell, it doesn't matter how long the log lays around. It's
not going to dry, it's going to rot. If you bring it inside and keep it
warm it might dry, but I'd bet it would take more than a few years. It's
got to be cut up.