ray

"George" George@least wrote in message

"Australopithecus scobis" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 14:36:58 +0000, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

one year per
inch.

...of thickness...

Which is, of course, baloney. It varies according to species and climate
and was conservative to begin with. Bring wood into an area comfortable
for habitation and throw away the rules. Cherry dropped in late July and
sawed 4/4 is 4% by the end of February in my basement. Pine's faster.

I had some fresh cut cherry that I dried in my garage. I weighed a 1"
thick
piece every day. On the 9th day it stopped losing weight. The wood was
dry. My garage was about 120 degrees F with a relative humidity of 5%.
I lived in Las Vegas. So I agree the time to dry wood does vary with
ambient conditions. The 1 year per inch rule of thumb is for outdoor
drying in the northeast.