Mike Henry

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
According to Mike Henry :

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
snip
So -- you can still get parts from Clausing -- at least the ones
which you are likely to damage or wear out. What you *can't* get are
things like the locking lever for the tailstock (to the bed). My
tailstock (from eBay) came without it, so I've had to use a wrench and
spacer -- at least until I get around to making my own equivalent to
that.

Have you checked on that lately? The cam-shaft handle and knob for my
5914
TS was available a few years back around $50 for both.

I called them about three years ago, with the part number from
the exploded drawings and was unable to get one. I'm not sure, but we
may have somewhat different versions. I've seen some with an eccentric
rod going parallel to the ways and a lever at the rear under and curving
up to behind the handwheel.

Mine, however, is supposed to have a lever coming out the center
of the back which splits to either side of the vertical screw coming
from the clamp plate. The screw has a nut on the top with a hinged
plate connecting it to the lever, and a set of cams formed on the bottom
to draw the screw up tight when the lever is pushed down.

If yours is like this, then I need to try again. I wonder
whether the part numbers differ between the 5814 and the 5914. Mine is
supposed to be part number DL-510, with the hinged plate being DL-514,
and DL-515 being the pin on which the plate pivots. The lever is called
"Wrench", FWIW. :-)

Alas, it appears that your info may still be correct as there are no entries
for DL-510 or DL 514 parts in the Clausing parts list that I have. It dates
from May 2004 so things may have changed.but it's unlikely since those two
parts probably don't need replacing often enough to justify re-stocking.
FWIW, there are a bunch of DL-### parts in the list (in case that is a
common part prefix for your 5814).

On the 5914, the handle is a doglegged piece of rod, threaded on one end for
the handle. The other end slips into a cross hole in the cam shaft and is
locked into position with a woodruff key and set screw. Sounds like the
5914 TS is a bit different than your 5814, but email me if you'd like the
parts diagram. for the 5914 TS or the 2004 parts list.

snip