Boris Beizer

"Eric R Snow" wrote in message
On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 08:59:45 -0700, Grant Erwin
wrote:

Since I know I will need a rotary table for some of my projects, my
question is can a rotary table be mounted vertically to a mini-lathe?

. His indexing
attachment, like many others, uses a gear tooth and spring-loaded plunger
effect the indexing. A 28 tooth gear would be pretty handy for indexing 7
equally spaced holes, for example.

I don't see a rotary table as a combination with a lathe. That's just
introducing too much shummy in an already unstiff set-up. Besides, that
would also imply a milling vice, and I can't see how to mount even the
smallest rotary table on the typical milling vice for a lathe.
But he doesn't need a rotary table. As Eric and Rex have pointed
out, it is a question of layout and indexing. I made a very simple, yet
effective indexing attachment (first for my 9" SB and later adapted to my
12" Clausing) lathe. I found/scrounged, some index plates with a 1.5"
center hole. I then machined a simple little plunger stop. The index
plate goes between the chuck and the spindle seat. This is okay since I
don't do any turning.
To make, say, seven holes evenly spaced on a wheel, say. Mount the
wheel in the chuck. Use a pointy tool (e.g., a scriber). First mark the
radius by holding the scriber against the work and rotating the chuck by
hand. Then go to your first hole position and mark the cross point by using
the cross feed. Back off, index to the next "7" position and repeat. Then
center punch the cross points and drill the holes in the drill press. No
problem holding it to a few thou accuracy. Better if you want to be really
finicky.
This is method is so easy and convenient that even though I have a
rotary table, mills, spin-indexers, etc. When I want to mark stuff that's
been worked on the lathe, rather than take it off the lathe and remount the
work on another tool (e.g., a rotary table), I index it on the lathe using
my cheapo indexer as above.
It's a lot, lot, easier finding various indexing plates at a used
machinery place than finding the right gears (pitch, bore, etc.).

Boris

--

Boris Beizer Ph.D. Seminars and Consulting

TEL: 215-572-5580
FAX: 215-886-0144
Email bsquare "at" earthlink.net