David L

I know Verizon for instance and many other responsible Cellcos have
batteries and propane powered backup generators for their cell towers.
I don't know exactly how long they can generate power during an outage,
but it would take quite a large propane tank, or lots of expensive
batteries to last for 2 weeks. Propane is a good fuel choice for long
term storage. IIRC, thought is was something like 24 or 72 hours tops
for the tower equipment propane generator.

I'm real curious thow he Cell companies are ensuring extended backup
power, with the new attention to communications during disasters? VZW
from anecdotal tales, seems to hold up very well during power outages.

Anyone using Vonage on a basic speed DSL plan? Would the increased
speed of a cable modem or faster DSL plan make the voice quality of
Vonage any better?
I can't stand poor voice quality. It seems in this age of high
compression codecs quality is getting sacrificed for quantity.
I'd rather pay a slight premium and get the full range and details of
the person's voice to whom I'm speaking, during personal calls. It's
hard to beat a good old landline for voice quality.

-
Dave