fred

In article , Chris Bacon
writes
Andrew Mawson wrote:
"fred" wrote...
I'm about to barter some lead & block tin for some sash weights at a
local scrappie, can anyone point me to a scrap metal price guide

CI weights should not be expensive... add say £5 or at most £10 as
an admin. charge to a couple of quid, and you should be given as
many as you can carry.

Need prices for 10s of kgs for lead, block tin & cast iron (I think
that's what they made the weights from, as opposed to cast steel).

Lead, yes. Block tin, I very, very much doubt it. Lead, maybe - you
can still buy lead weights.

Price of lead at scrap merchant (holds finger in air) - £0.3/Kg?
Tin probably buys at about £6,500/1,000Kg, I'm assuming it hasn't
changed much in the last 20 years, so expect .5 of that. Cast iron?
I dunno. Say £40/tonne.

That's useful Chris, thanks:

30kg lead £9
2.5kg block tin £8
128kg cast iron weights £5 scrap value + £10 hassle factor

Looks like pretty much a straight swap but I'll happily pay him more for
being good enough to keep them rather than melt them down. I needed a
reference point as this lot from Mighton was going to cost £180 :-!
--
fred