Jumpster Jiver

Dave D wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

I recently purchased a used Iwatsu SS-5705 (my first) and it seems to
function correctly on all 3 channels. I have noticed that when I turn
some of the knobs it behaves like there are dirty or loose contacts.
What is the best way to go about cleaning/checking the guts of the
machine? Is it just a matter of using a contact cleaner or should I be
on the look out for cracked/cold solder joints?

I'm not famiar with that make/model. However I bought a very nice Philips
scope on eBay, non-working, which had seriously scratchy/intermittant knobs
and switches. I found a good dose of Servisol lubricating switch cleaner did
the trick. When I say a good dose, I mean just that! I had to flood the
switches and operate them repeatedly to break down the layer of filth/oxide
from the contacts, but after a few applications it worked like new.

It's important to use 'lubricating' switch cleaner, anything else may
shorten the life of the contacts and give only temporary relief from the
symptoms.
Some equipment's switches are very hard to access, which might make this a
difficult repair, but if you can easily get the tube from the aerosol in,
it's straightforward enough and usually very effective.

Dave

Wouldn't that coat the entire inside of the scope with dust-attracting
lubricant?
I would first clean all the switches, controls, selectors, etc. with
NON-Lubricating cleaner, operate them all several times, then after
they're all operating better, spray a SMALL amount of switch lubricant
on/in them