Asimov

"GHZpc" bravely wrote to "All" (09 Sep 05 04:39:13)
--- on the heady topic of "* Computer Hardware Question * - Broken Pin on Hard =
Drive"

One way would be to pull the remaining pin 1 stub out the back of the
socket hole. Leave it soldered to the pcb to avoid damaging this. Then
push a scavenged piece of same diameter pin through into the front.
(ref. facing the socket) A little heat might help in either operation.
Then solder or crimp the new piece to the old one at the back of the
socket. Make sure nothing shorts then add some epoxy or a hot glue gun
to make things solid.

Another way would be to cut away the plastic header around pin 1 of
the socket until there is enough space cleared to solder a piece from
another scavenged pin. Then line up the new pin square to fit and use
2 part epoxy (or other) to build up the plastic that was removed so as
to support the solder joint.

You might need really tiny fingers and tools for either method.
No guarantee for either repair method... Good luck!

A*s*i*m*o*v

GH From: "GHZpc"
GH Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:341703

GH I accidently broke Pin #1 on my Maxtor hard drive. Unfortunately, I
GH had very important data that was not backed up. Yes, I have already
GH learned my lesson.
GH The pin broke off so deep that there is almost no metal visible to
GH make contact with. I tried a safety pin and attempted to use my
GH average soldering skills to solder a new pin in place. I have still
GH had no luck up to this pont.
GH I think my best bet (besides buying a new hard drive), would be to
GH remove the daughterboard on the outside of the hard drive and then
GH have more access to where pin #1 is located. Does this sound like a
GH safe thing to do? I would have to be aware of any small thin cables
GH sticking out of the hard drive so that they do not get broke too.
GH If you have any other suggestions, they would be greatly greatly
GH greatly appreciated. And please, please tell me that there is still
GH hope. After all, it's only one pin. I refuse to believe that an
GH entire hard drive can be useless just because one pin broke.

GH Thanks for your replies.

.... The first rule of intelligent tinkering is to save all the parts.